• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination of Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Suzette1392

What is the name of your state? Indiana

i live in indiana and have for 2 years. my child support case is in michigan (i lived in the county my case was filed in for 10 months). my husband is intrested in trying to adopt my child. i believe the law in michigan is 2 years w/o calls,visitation and support from the non custodial parent. i believe that it is 1 year in indiana. i am trying to find out which state i would initiate adoption procedings in, michigan where my case is or indiana where we reside? i also want to know the length of time required w/o calls, support and visitation before filing a petition in both states.
thank you!

tigger22472

The following link will tell you what the crounds are in either state. I do know in INdiana it is 1 yr. no contact/no support. However you will probably have to file in Mi since that is where the order is. Contact the FOC in that county. I was helping a friend with a case in MI the other day. It's each to search for the info if you want. Just use the heck out of the search button looking up Friend of Court in Michigan and such.

http://www.calib.com/nccanch/statutes/statutes/tblTermin_searchresults.cfm

O

OnlyOneVoice

To second Tigger's comments, it is generally required that any alteration to a court order be filed in the court which holds jurisdiction.

If an order of visitation, etc was filed then that court holds continuing jurisdiction over the "custody" of the child, so you would most likely have to return to the court of the original order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">