• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Indigo1200

Recently I slept with a woman and now she is pregnant. She is currently taking an experimental drug and I feel it would be best if the pregnancy was terminated, but I respect her choice to carry the child if she would like to. My question is if I want to have the child put up for adoption and she does not, what are my legal rights and what are hers… any help would be greatly appreciated.

R

rookie

Mom has the rights, she's carrying the baby, you can not force her to put the baby up for adoption.

You will be legally responsible for supporting your child until he/she is 18. You can go to court to request custody/visitation and if you are unsure of the paternity, request a DNA test. If you are the dad, you will be responsible for paying for the test costs.

I'm sure that you were not wanting to hear the cold hard facts. You are having a child, although this wasn't planned and isn't ideal, your going to be a daddy. Make the most of it, be a dad to your child. Nothing but good can come from it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">