• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold a gun to person who commited a shooting spree in Montana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

vroman1962

washington

I would like to know what kind of legal trouble I am in due to that I sold a handgun in June of 1996 to a person who commited a crime(shooting spree,killing one person and injuring several) with the gun in July of 2003. I have receipt of the person I sold it to but no signature on it. The crime he commited was in Montana. I was contacted by th ATF yesterday to get a statement from me and the told me no legal action will be take against me. I am total wreck over this. Could some let me know what will happen to me.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Why would you think that you're somehow responsible, liable, or criminally connected in some way for the crimes of someone else?

If what you're feeling had any legitimacy, we'd have gun dealers, and manufacturers running around like chickens without heads! You've just got a severe case of the "guilts", and that's normal. You're going through the "what if" scenarios in your head, doing a real head trip on yourself, when you had no control over the situation!

Everything's going to be okay. The ATF merely wants to document the history of that gun, and to confirm that there was no conspiracy involved. It's typical for their report.

As Franklin Delano Roosevelt said, "We have nothing to fear . . . but fear itself."

IAAL

V

vroman1962

Thanks for advice

Thank you for your response. You are right I am running all the scenarios in my mind. I keep on thinking what if ? My heart is just breaking because someone has died because of what I did. I normally dont purchase hand guns but my spouse wanted for a christmas present. He ended up not liking the gun and we sold it. Now look what has happened. I will never have anything to do with guns again. Thank you for making me feel a little better.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: Thanks for advice

vroman1962 said:
"Thank you for making me feel a little better."

==================================

My response:

You're welcome. I make everyone here at FreeAdvice feel good! I'm like the "Welcome Wagon", and the Ambassador of Good Feelings for FreeAdvice!

You'll never read a surly word on any of my posts!

IAAL

Beth3

IAAL, you are indeed a prince among men, a paragon of virtue, and a role model for the masses. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">