• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

D.W.

My husband is due to retire in 3yrs. He will get a pension plus he has money going into stocks.Will I be able to obtain my half for myself and three children before he retires or will we have to wait? I have been unhappily married for 14yrs. We live in N.Y. state.

L

Lguidance

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by D.W.:
My husband is due to retire in 3yrs. He will get a pension plus he has money going into stocks.Will I be able to obtain my half for myself and three children before he retires or will we have to wait? I have been unhappily married for 14yrs. We live in N.Y. state.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it largely depends on the state. since it is earned during marraige, it is considered marital property in community property states (and some other states).
To evaluate its worth prior to retirment, you'll need to have an actuary figure out the expected life of the pension holder. Thiw, plus the estimated retirement date should give you the pension amount. Of course, it has to be figured with just the marital earnings.
A possible idea is to have your attorney sign over any interest in the pension in exchange for some other money or property now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">