• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What crime is this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Beth Pouncey

What is the name of your state? CA

A friend in California was recently offered $2000 to drive a stolen car to another city. After the first car was moved, the person asked my friend if he would like to participate in this regularly. He told my friend it would bring in about $5000/week. I have a few questions.
1. Obviously, this is illegal. What crime would my friend be charged with if caught?
2. What is the maximum for that crime?
3. How far will an "I didn't know they were stolen" defense go?
4. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I've never heard anything like it and would be interested in any information anyone has to offer.

Thanks!

H

hexeliebe

You are kidding right? This is covered under California State Statute 34.101 Stupidity of a felon.

B

Beth Pouncey

Well, not to be rude, but I really do need info on this. It's a serious matter to me; I need something persuasive to change this person's mind. "It's against the law" simply won't do. Neither will "It's stupid."

H

hexeliebe

O.K. how about traffiking in stolen property, grand theft auto, Federal ICC violations, big bubba with a bar of soap in the prison shower.

If you have to convice this person with anything other than, you'll get your ass in jail for a long time, he or she is not worth the time or effort.

B

Beth Pouncey

have you ever heard of anything like this?
and do you know anything about saying "I didn't know the car was stolen?"--I'm concerned. To me, it sounds like something to do with a mob or something...

H

hexeliebe

O.K. let's get serious.

First your 'friend' should run, not walk away from this. If he doesn't, it doesn't matter if this is mob, gang or otherwise related. He's on the hook. PERIOD.

Now:

1. Obviously, this is illegal. What crime would my friend be charged with if caught?
Answer: Depends on which side of the border he's caught on. If in the same state, auto theft. If he crossed the state line, Federal crimes.

2. What is the maximum for that crime?
ANSWER: Depends on his prior record, how many cars he's caught with, who catches him and a lot of other factors. Suffice it to say he can run the gamut from probation to 10 years in prison and if it's federal, more.

3. How far will an "I didn't know they were stolen" defense go?
ANSWER: About as far as a humvee on eight flat tires.

4. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I've never heard anything like it and would be interested in any information anyone has to offer.
ANSWER: Yes, it's called organized crime. The mob.

B

Beth Pouncey

I appreciate your serious advice--it's exactly what I was asking for.

H

hexeliebe

Now for a word from our sponsor:

If this guy takes just one car for these 'bent-noses' get the hell away from him as fast as you can.

Son of Slam

Beth Pouncey said:
have you ever heard of anything like this?
and do you know anything about saying "I didn't know the car was stolen?"--I'm concerned. ...

No. I can't say as I have ever heard, "I didn't know the car was stolen?" I did see a movie once where the guy said, "Show me the money."

C

crashtestdummy

OK THEN

Ignorance to any crime is NOT a defense to prosecution!!!!

So simply not knowing what the crime is..is not a defense!
You need to get away from this person.

B

Beth Pouncey

Not to be rude, but it is and was obvious to me when I posted that this is criminal activity and I don't need to be around it. This person is in my immediate family, and I simply needed concrete fact to convince him that the punishment for this is not worth the money he is being offered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">