• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sexual assault by a minor to three young girls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

onrme

What is the name of your state? virgnia
The young man across the street from me who is 14 years old is in jail for sexually assaulting my two young daughters and another young girl in the neighborhood.
This was found out by the school when one of the girls talked to a counselor about uncomfortable touch. The police investigated this and have enough evidence to hold the boy and he has a transfer court hearing on July 31. His parents live in a housing certificate house and I find the mother could have been supervising the children playing better than what she did. (sitting at the computer) This assault has been ongoing and the last time was in March. The judge said given the seriousness of the charges he will not be released from custody. The story gets longer and longer. Family heartache, children hurt and so on. Let alone they live right across the street from us. I think I need to see a lawyer about what I can do and what rights we have. So far believe it or not I have heard about his rights.
My qestions are
They live in Section 8 housing, can they still live there?
Can I take action against the mother for this happening right when she was two rooms away?
What are some of my important rights and my daughters?
We will be going to court, I have read the victim's assistance rights for our county, I think there is more is there?
There has to be something I can do we have lived here for ten years and are law abiding citizens. My daughters are going through a hard time with them living in the house across the street, is there anything I can do?
How do I find a lawyer that can handle something like this in my area? Where do I look? I think I would need to speak to a certain type of lawyer but not sure what to look for, any help with this?

Oh by the way, the charges are very serious as the assault was.

Thanks
onrme

B

Beth Pouncey

I can't imagine the heartache you and your family have gone through. How horrible! As far as I know (from watching Judge Judy episodes) you can sue anyone you believe is responsible for damages. Also, you would have to sue his mother anyway, because he is a minor. Please try and get a second opinion though as I am not completely sure.

stephenk

How did it come to be your two young daughters were in his house? Did you know your kids were at the house?

The mom sitting at a computer doesnt mean she is negligent in watching your kids. did your kids ever complain about having to go to the boy's house?

O

onrme

We have lived across from these people for almost ten years. Our adult relationship has changed over the years. When you meet in your early twenties and one family goes further and one stays the same I have learned that ill feelings sometime come out, not from our house.
They have a younger daughter the same age as mine and their middle son is the same age as mine. No I didnt know. I thank God for the school and the "life class" the counselor was teaching. The young man threatened my daughters, the youngest with he would beat her up and my oldest daughter with the threat he would kill me. He told the the third girl the samething about her mother. My oldest daughter said she believed him. Over the years they have played, have had over night sleep parties, pool parties etc. All the girls claimed this started during the last school year and the last time was in March of this year. I have learned when children thinks threats are real, they will keep that secret they are hiding, almost no matter what.
I am still wondering what type of attorney I should talk to. Any ideas? I would love to put a sign in my yard, but my I think it would be harmful mentally to my girls.
I would love to know specifically what I could sue for her for. Any ideas? Also, if I can make them move since it is a section 8 house. I call it the house of horrors. I am looking for some direction in this. A place to start. Any help is appreciated.

N

no blinders yet

Question: How old are your girls?
The law has the boy in custody? If the charges are serious enough, do you not think the boy will be taken away for a period of time? In all my years of experience in my profession, I have, many times, had to completely agree with the feelings of the "wronged" but yet have had to look at the "whole picture". The "whole picture" isn't always in the favor of the wronged person. Very sad to say! I say that b/c , although childen are usually a reflection of the parents, sometimes the mirror is a little "tweeked". I mean to say, if your children have been there over the years, and their's at your home, have you hovered over the children in their playtime, never leaving them out of your sight? Probably not. But in the couple minutes that you are not present, A LOT can happen. Does that make you a bad parent? I certainly do not think so w/o evidence of such. Section 8 living does not make for "bad people". I do agree that this boy needs to be dealt with. You have to look at the "whole picture" to determine if the mother, after the child's probable incarceration, deserves to be ousted.

Yes, I have found info dealing with the question of evictin:
Criminal activity and drug-related criminal activity(21) are grounds for eviction from federally assisted housing. HUD implements these provisions by directing that they be included in tenants' leases. The statutory language varies slightly from program to program.
The major difference between the public housing statute and the tenant-based Section 8 statute is the language on location of the activity. One provides for "on or near" and the other "on or off."
But before you pursue the action of eviction, see what the court does. If the charges are serious enough, and if absence from the home occurs for this boy, then, with your HEAD, not your HEART, try to determne if the pursuit of eviction is warranted.

O

onrme

no blinders yet said:
Question: How old are your girls?
The law has the boy in custody? If the charges are serious enough, do you not think the boy will be taken away for a period of time? In all my years of experience in my profession, I have, many times, had to completely agree with the feelings of the "wronged" but yet have had to look at the "whole picture". The "whole picture" isn't always in the favor of the wronged person. Very sad to say! I say that b/c , although childen are usually a reflection of the parents, sometimes the mirror is a little "tweeked". I mean to say, if your children have been there over the years, and their's at your home, have you hovered over the children in their playtime, never leaving them out of your sight? Probably not. But in the couple minutes that you are not present, A LOT can happen. Does that make you a bad parent? I certainly do not think so w/o evidence of such. Section 8 living does not make for "bad people". I do agree that this boy needs to be dealt with. You have to look at the "whole picture" to determine if the mother, after the child's probable incarceration, deserves to be ousted.

Yes, I have found info dealing with the question of evictin:

But before you pursue the action of eviction, see what the court does. If the charges are serious enough, and if absence from the home occurs for this boy, then, with your HEAD, not your HEART, try to determne if the pursuit of eviction is warranted.
How old are your girls? My girls are 8 and 10. 7 and 8 when this started.
The law has the boy in custody? Yes for about two months. He has been back to court every 21 days for the court to review. This is the way it works in Virginia. I am told.
If the charges are serious enough, do you not think the boy will be taken away for a period of time? I think so, he has a transfer court hearing on July 31 to be transferred from a minor to an adult.
Sad to say you are most likely correct and I have issues of my own dealing with this. If the mother didnt have such a cocky attitude I would most likely not harbor such anger. The looks the staring and it is your fault attitude I get makes me angry.
I have a question, the boy was charges with my two girls and then last tuesday with the third girl. Are his parents made aware of these charges as they happen? I get the impression they have no clue how this came about. The police offered the boy a lie detector test. His mother consented. He refused saying he will answer any questions and confessed to everything. The detective still wants to go before a grand jury. Which will most likely be in Sept. or Oct. I dont understand if he confessed why a trial? Or is it not a trial? I cant really find any thing on the net about this or perhaps it is above my head. So I sit and wait for the court system to work. But, if I knew why that would help.
I will think about what your wrote. It is true but hard to swallow.

onrme

O

onrme

stephenk said:
How did it come to be your two young daughters were in his house? Did you know your kids were at the house?

The mom sitting at a computer doesnt mean she is negligent in watching your kids. did your kids ever complain about having to go to the boy's house?
They often have played with their young daughter who is the same age as mine. We have lived across the street from one another for ten years.

My kids never complained, they were threatened. One threat was he would punch my youngest in the stomach and to the oldest daughter he told her he would kill me. So in a way I think they thought they were protecting me.

Yes I did know the kids were at the house.
They have played together for years. So the niche in this neighborhood has went away. Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">