• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can he claim child on taxes?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

danema

Hello. If anyone can help it would be greatly apreciated. My finace has a child from a previous relationship. Her mother called and said he could claim her on his taxes if he want's to. He is paying child support but is behind because of an injury on the job from the beginning of the year. Because of this his whole tax check is being put towards the back support. He aggreed he would try and do this because the extra money would pay off more of the back support. My question is, is that possible because he dosn't have custody? And also could she in any way use this against him? (She is known to do whatever it takes to get what she wants or to cause conflict between us us any way she can) Thank you for any replies.

D

Daddy280

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by danema:
Hello. If anyone can help it would be greatly apreciated. My finace has a child from a previous relationship. Her mother called and said he could claim her on his taxes if he want's to. He is paying child support but is behind because of an injury on the job from the beginning of the year. Because of this his whole tax check is being put towards the back support. He aggreed he would try and do this because the extra money would pay off more of the back support. My question is, is that possible because he dosn't have custody? And also could she in any way use this against him? (She is known to do whatever it takes to get what she wants or to cause conflict between us us any way she can) Thank you for any replies. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It all depends on one or two things. If your fiancee has her permission to claim the child on his tax returns, he will have to have a signed form from her stating so to do so.

C

cjskids

There is a IRS form that she can fill out giving him the deduction for this years taxes. (www.irs.gov) If she doesn't want to fill out that form, he can claim the child based on her verbal permission and hope that the ex doesn't claim the child also. If they both claim the deduction then there will be an investigation by the IRS (where the child resided for most of the year, current child support payments, etc..) My best advice would be to have her sign that form so he won't have an IRS headache too!! Good Luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">