• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

confu

Twelve years ago my wife gained custody of our son on the condition that she would receive no child support from me, the father. Although not obligated I have sent money to her. Now she wants me to send the money through the state. Should I?? For what reason would she want this done???

T

Tracey

Many states make "contracts" trading custody for release from support unenforceable. Thus, if she gets a court order for support, you will have to pay it.

I don't know your state, so this is general stuff:
Without court-ordered support, you have no obligation to send payments through the state. She might want this done to document the amount of CS she receives or so that she can receive public assistance.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">