• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Hope It Doesn't Come To This...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wendy

I started dating a man very shortly after he moved out of his home and asked his wife for a divorce. We knew each other from work before the divorce but had not seen each other socially or dated. He has offered to give her half of everything he has accumulated plus pay her alimony for 3.5 years. She is gainfully employed and makes good money for this area and will be well set if she accepted his offer. Instead she insists on punishing him and said that she won't settle until she gets everything he has or will have. Anyway, she has always been convinced that he and I had been dating while they were married. She recently has started threatening him saying that up until now she has kept me out of it and that won't last for long if he doesn't settle on her terms. My qestion is: What can she do other than accuse him of having an affair? Can she legally do anything to me? Can the courts rule against my friend just because she suspects something that isn't true? And also, we live in a small town. If she begins to slander my name over this is there any legal recourse I can take? I know there are many questions here but this thing just doesn't seem to end. Many thanks.

T

Tracey

What a mess! Here goes...

1) HIS property settlement with HIS wife is HIS business. It has nothing to do with you, so stay out of it. I know it's hard (I have those codependent tendencies myself), but you can't get caught up in this and stay sane. :)

2) I don't know your state's laws on alienation of affection suits. Ask a divorce attorney. His attorney should know, if he wants to ask for you.

3) Don't talk to her or try to explain that you didn't start dating until after the separation. That's his job. She won't believe you anyway, and then you'll be the homewrecker AND the lying b*tch.

4) If she slanders you, you could sue her, but you'll have to prove damages. Talk to a lawyer with libel/slander experience if you're really worried. The lawyer may decide to write her a letter warning her that you'll sue for slander if she starts badmouthing you around town. Or, s/he may decide to leave it alone and wait for her to step over the line.

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">