• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife has gambling problem and must be stopped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jay580

my wife has a severe gambling problem and has lost everything we have. i cant stop her.
what do i do??
we have seperate accounts but she steals from
my account by way of my bank card.or signing my name to my checks.can i file a lawsuit against her for money lost. or is there any other way to force her to face what she is doing to this family.
please help my kids and i are desperate!!!!

T

Tracey

Here's a number of possible actions. You can take some or all of them.

1) Change your PIN numbers and don't tell her what they are. Cancel all credit cards or make sure she doesn't have access to them.

2) Inform your bank that she is not a signatory on your account and you will charge them as accessories to theft if they let her access your accounts. Demand that they refund any money they illegally gave her.

3) Charge her with forgery for signing checks in your name. (I know it's hard, but that's the fastest and probably only way to get her to stop and/or get counseling.)

4) Hire an attorney and ask that you be named her financial conservator. This will result in her being unable to access any of her separate accounts. If she works, get the court to order direct deposit or that the employer pay you personally, NOT by mail. You will have to access her accounts to pay her share of bills, etc.

5) File for a legal separation. You can still live together, but if you are legally separated, her creditors can't come after you for her debts.

6) Talk to a bankruptcy attorney.

7) Find a support group, 'cause she's going to make your life a living hell for "betraying" her.

8) Move to a state that doesn't allow gambling or lotteries.

I hope things improve,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">