• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

deduction lies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clueless

my ex took me back to court to claim one of our two children. And i agreed, how can i change that, i read that the deduction should go to the parent with primary physical custody. He doesn't fit the criteria for claiming child according to the forms from the irs. How can i change this without going to court. Is there a way to change or any law that overides the court documents. He is one with hidden income anyway - self employed if you know what i mean.

T

Tracey

Either parent can claim the child as a dependent. If the non-custodial parent is claiming, the custodial parent has to sign an IRS form. If the court ordered you to let him claim one kid, you have to follow that order.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">