• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can biological father who signed paternity papers keep me and my child from moving?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jen S

My daughter's father signed paternity papers at her birth. We were never married and I have raised her without his assistance - all contact between the two has been initiated by me, and he has never offered support of any kind. He acknowledges that she's his child but doesn't appear to have any interest in her. No child support papers have been filed yet. I am now contemplating moving from Utah to Washington State. Do I need to notify him of this move? Can he prevent me from moving our daughter to another state?

A

Attorney_Replogle

Your ex-boyfriend can't stop you and your daughter from moving. He could only attempt to stop you if you and he had already been to a court to have a judge determine the issues of child custody, child visitation, and child support. If he had child visitation and your move would have the effect of denying him the right of visitation (due to the distance you moved, the cost to visit the child), then a court could deny your move.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">