• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chilsupport arrears + adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hitechdogs

What is the name of your state? Va
Hi all ,
I am new to the board and have found it very helpful. Here is my question. I have a 13yrs old son from first marriage. I am now remarriaged to a wonderful man a will call T. who wants to adopt my son.T has been a major part of son's life since age 2 and has been the only father my son has know and really wants to be his son in the legal sense.My ex I will call R has not written,called, or talked to son in at least 8yrs. R is also about $10,000 behind in support.If my ex agrees to let T adopt.I know this releases him from future support payments but does it release him from the support he already owes? I know years ago when i was adopted it didnt release father of back support payments. Also can someone tell me the steps on how we go about adoption procedure?Is it nessacary to hire a lawyer? Thank you for a your help in advance.

hitechdogs
Anyone can be a father , But It takes someone special to be a Dad :)

Last edited:

H

hexeliebe

Third-party adoption does not automatically forgive arrearage. However, you can if you want.

As for needing an attorney, it depends on your state laws. Some states require adoptions to be handled by either a state agency or an attorney. However, would you really want the adoption handled by someone (you) who isn't totally familiar with the law and find out years later that you gave up rights to the arrearage or that a mistake made during the procedure allowed your ex to come back into the childs life?

Find an attorney.

H

hitechdogs

Hexeliebe,
Thank you for your reply. I will hire a lawyer to handle all of this due to the legal stuff. I have written ex about letting T adopt son and I am waiting his reply. Son really wants to have this done before school starts in the fall. Can you also tell me how long the adoption procedure usually takes? Thanks again!!!

Hitechdogs

H

hexeliebe

No I can't. No one can. It all depends on what the ex says, how booked the courts are, how good your attorney is and a lot of other factors.

However, the first step is to start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">