• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepson wants to live w/dad, mom says ok but won't sign custody xfer papers. Now what

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jlblm

My husbands 16 y/o stepson who lives in Co. is cutting school, almost failing most classes, and can't get along with his mother. Her answer is to make him quit school and get a job. (NOT an exagerration, she admitted it!) He wants to come live with his dad in Texas to have a fresh start and get his life straight. Mom said O.K. last weekend and plans were made to go get him this weekend. We called a lawyer in Co. to start custody papers. My husband called to let the mom know she would have to sign them in front of a notary. She freaked out and said she is not giving up custody. The boy can come live with us but she will retain custody. Hubby explained that the school requires him to have some custody papers before we can register the boy in school. She called him a liar. We also need the papers for the peace of mind that she won't snatch him back on a whim if she gets mad at him or my husband. Considering all the circumstances and the age of my stepson(16 and who wants to come here), my question is whether this will require a long, drawn out, expensive battle in court or is it possible to settle this with just one court appearance. Mediation will not be an option as she is irrational and unreasonable. My fear is that now she will not allow him to come and he will have to suffer more emotional abuse until something legal can happen. Help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">