• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCP Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

C.R.Allen

Help, I pay child support to an out-of-state mother through wage garnishment. The State of Georgia DHR has recently installed a new computer system. Inevitably my child support has been totally screwed up. I continue to have garnished from my check the same amount as always and yet now the state of Georgia shows arrearages and so does the CP's state. Due to this error, the Federal tax division has claimed my Federal refund to send to the mother in her state and the State of Georgia has claimed my State refund to send to the mother as well (A whooping double payment). I'm not behind on my support. What can I do and what are my rights? Contacting these case workers is not the answer.

T

Tracey

1) File a protest with the IRS, saying that you are not in arrears and you want your refund back. You'll need a tax attorney.

2) Hire a lawyer to sue the Georgia CS division for incompetance. Don't go through the case workers, go directly to the legal dept of CS Enforcement. Perhaps a simple letter with exhaustive proof of your past payments will make them sit up and take notice.

3) Petition the court to modify CS and suspend it until the refunds are used up. Alternatively, the court might order ex to repay you.

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

T

Tracey

4) Call the state CS dept. and ask them how you request an administrative hearing to challenge their figures. Take every scrap of evidence you have all the way back to the separation. (Ask your employer to give you copies of payroll deductions if you don't have the stubs.)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">