• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

simple divorce - but not so simple

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Martina

I'm separated from my husband for almost 2 years now. We both agree to have a divorce. We have no children, no real estate, no assets together. There are no claims to each other. Simple as it is ... I filed for divorce, we signed all the papers and paid the fees. Now the court told me they wouldnt do anything - I have to file for judgement and I have no idea what that means. They wouldnt give me any information but tell me I should go to a lawyer. I cannot afford a lawyer and in our "simple" case I think I don't need a lawyer. It can't be so difficult to find out what my next steps are and what this 'filing for judgement' is all about. Please let me know if you have information for me. Thank you so much :))))

T

Tracey

Go to the public library and ask the librarian to help you find a self-help law book on divorce. (Oversize books, around 345.7) Pick one that gives you step-by-step instructions and includes sample forms. You can then fill out the forms and submit them to the court.

Alternatively, you can go to the clerk's office and ask to see a closed divorce file. The file will include an example of the judgment of dissolution form. Xerox it and edit it for your divorce.

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">