• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stopping Alimony?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sharon2

How hard is it to have alimony stopped,,My husband was married for 13 yrs to his now ex wife,,we live in Delaware in their divorce decree it states that if she cohabitates or if she makes 50%more than she did when they got divorced the alimony can be termenated.She was living with her boyfried until about a month ago she lived there for about a year but back then we were told that it was gona cost us over $5,000 to prove that she was living with her boyfried.They had planned to get married this May but now the wedding is off it was cheaper to keep paying alimony until May but now we will have to pay until 2003.She now makes over 50%more than she did in income,She did cohabatate with the man she had planned to marry,,My question is what would u think our chances are of stopping the alimony,My husband wants to have his adult children to go to court to, they also lived with her boyfriend,,should we do that? Now that she is making alot more could the alimony be done with if this information is proven?

N

network

Contact an attorney to petition the court to stop alimony now that her circumstances have changed. The fact that she makes 50% more than she did should be enough to stop the alimony payment without bringing the boyfriend into the picture. Also, ask for her to pay your attorney fees since she did not bring it to the attention of the court that her circumstances have changed. If you are out any money on this, it shouldn't be much compared to the cost of continuing to pay alimony until 2003. Even a call to an attorney would be worth the expense. Some states don't even favour long term alimony payments anymore. Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">