• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can we change it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babyblue

My husband was paying $485.00 child support for his 7 years old daughter(she lives in Florida).About a year ago the ex and him agreed on the amount of $300.00.Receantly we received papers from her lawyer saying she wants the full amount deducted from his account.Because of my husband job, we can't live in Florida(currently in Virginia), so we only see his daughter maybe 4-5 days in a year or less.Even when we there for a week ,we can have her from saturday afternoon til sunday noon.His ex will not let her fly to us.We would pay it.
My question is:Should we just sign the papers or get a lawyer and try to modify the order?Would it worth it?
Or would we have to pay more child support,(if we go into details) because my husband income increased since the devorce?

T

tgabriel

If your husband's ex has a court order for $485, even though they agreed between the two of them to $300, she will get the $485 if she wants it. If you take it to court, to modify, the court will require proof of income and unless his ex agrees otherwise, they WILL increase your husband's support payments if he is making more money than he was making when the $485 amount was set. Also, visitation has no relevance in regards to child support as far as the courts concerned. My suggestion, just sign the paper; it will only turn out worse it you don't. Oh, and never trust an ex's word, next time get it in writing and entered into court as a modification while they're agreeing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">