• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrepencies in back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fleckdee

My husband owes back child support, Which makes him the "dead beat dad" steriotype and this is far from the truth. Now, it is effecting our entire family, stability, future, and has made this house hold depressed over and over again. To be short,
he has paid well over the amount owed over and over again due to mix ups,intrest added,
and payments never being deducted. They have taken everything from us and now, my children and I are on medicade, WIC, and we can't even pay our household bills. My husband pay 300 out each month to them and yet they say he isn't. All we get are mean letters and demand payments from them and when we try to communicate (letters,phone,etc.)with them to work this all out, we get NO help and are led in circles over and over.

What can we do? Is there Legal Assistance for people that want to take a state (Colorado)child support collector to court to dispute discrepencies?

T

Tracey

Go to the support enforcement office and ask for the forms you need to demand an administrative hearing to determine how much support you owe and how much you have paid.

TAKE EVERY SCRAP OF PAPER YOU HAVE BACK TO THE DAY OF THE SEPARATION TO THE HEARING. Assemble them all in a clear, concise form (HINT: judges love tables and charts :) ). You might want to get a legal aid lawyer to go with you or check out some books from the library on representing yourself in court.

You also might want to petition the court to reduce the CS amount to take into account your family's actual income and expenses.

Good luck

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited April 15, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">