• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I do This?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

patience

After a long divorce, I have full custody of my two boys. There was not a dispute on this from their father, although one would expect it. Now, I will be moving back home, going to school, getting married, and thankfully living close to family. The ex is already re-married. My oldest son wants to remain here, in Alabama, because of friends. My son reluctantly wants to live with Dad in order to stay here. Dad wants joint custody now that living arrangements have become an issue. Should I give joint custody to Dad even though he gave up custody only 3 months ago? Can giving Dad joint custody hurt my child or myself since I wont be living in close range? Initially, my son did not want me to allow custody for his father because he wanted to try living with Dad on a trial basis, but Dad now thinks if son lives with him, he should at LEAST have joint custody. Rightfully, I feel that his Dad should have asked for joint custody in the first place, so that our children would feel stability from knowing their father wanted an equal parenting relationship. It's only been 3 months since the agreement. What should I do?

T

Tracey

Your son wants to stay in Alabama to be with friends -- would any of their families be willng to host him for the school year? You could give the host parents a power of attorney for child care. Doing this shows that you haven't abandoned the boy to his father. Dad would get the same visitation schedule as now.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">