• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

austinite

I was diagnosed by a psychiatrist ten years ago with depression. About six months ago I fell into a deep depression and I was diagnosed with severe manic depression; After I had admitted myself to a mental hospital for help. I had to resign from my job and I am unable to work although I am on medication. I was told that there is disability insurance for clinical depression people that is offered by the government. Is there any one that can tell me if this is true and if so-how I would go about getting this help. Thank you austinite

T

Tracey

Contact Social Security and ask for an appointment with a counselor.

B

BAC

You can go to your local Social Security office and apply for Disability Insurance benefits, which is based on how much $$ you earned in the past. If your current income and assets are below a certain $$ amount, you may also be eligible for Supplemental Security Income. I work for Disability Determination Services, which is where the SS office will send your application after you have filed it. We will look at your medical records to determine whether or not your physical and/or mental impairment is severe enough to qualify for benefits. Make sure you list all of your impairments on your application, and that you list all of the doctors, hospitals, clinics, counselors, etc. that you have seen for your condition, as we will be contacting these sources to gather info on your condition. Let me warn you that sometimes it takes quite a while to have your application processed, depending on how long it takes for the sources to respond and how cooperative you are in helping us gather this information. There are different levels of "adjudication". The first level is called the "initial" level. If you are denied at the initial level, you can file for a "reconsideration". If you are denied at the reconsideration level, you can file for a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge. We only handle the initial and reconsideration levels. The ALJ level will be done in court. Therefore, you DO NOT need a lawyer to help you with the initial or reconsideration levels, as we process all claims exactly the same, whether there is attorney involvement or not, but you may want to have a lawyer if you have to go to the ALJ level. Hope this info helps you.

You can also do searches on the web for more info. Look for "Social Security Disability" and "Supplemental Security Income".

Good Luck!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">