• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing Attorneys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

boomersmom

Ohio

My husband has been accused of a crime which he did not commit. His current attorney has as much as told us that he thinks my husband is guilty. For this and other reasons, my husband is seeking another attorney.

My questions:
How does this work?

Will the old attorney give his files & notes to my husband, or does he retain them or send them directly to the new attorney?

Is there any possibility that the conversations my husband had with his old attorney can be used against him?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

H

hexeliebe

How does this work?
Your husbands new attorney will need to file a substitution of representation form.

Will the old attorney give his files & notes to my husband, or does he retain them or send them directly to the new attorney?
They will be given to the new attorney when one is retained.

Is there any possibility that the conversations my husband had with his old attorney can be used against him?
No, the conversations are considered priviledged regardless of how long the representation lasts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">