• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

boyfriend convicted of battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anjing888

What is the name of your state? CA

I recently found out that my live-in boyfriend was convicted of misdemeanor battery [CA penal code 243(E)(1)] against his previous girlfriend. He was also charged with inflicting corporal injury [CA penal code 273.5(A)], but the charge was dismissed. He told me that he had a heated argument with her and "slapped" her once. What does battery include? Could a person be convicted and given a year of counseling, two years probation, community service, suspension of immigration status, and a fine for a slap? I suspect that it was more than that. I have no legal experience and just wanted an expert opinion on whether the sentence fits the crime he has described to me or if it was probably more than what he divulged.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

HomeGuru

anjing888 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

I recently found out that my live-in boyfriend was convicted of misdemeanor battery [CA penal code 243(E)(1)] against his previous girlfriend. He was also charged with inflicting corporal injury [CA penal code 273.5(A)], but the charge was dismissed. He told me that he had a heated argument with her and "slapped" her once. What does battery include?

**A: that's battery.
Could a person be convicted and given a year of counseling, two years probation, community service, suspension of immigration status, and a fine for a slap?

**A: yes and you know for a fact that he lied to you and there is more to the story.

I suspect that it was more than that. I have no legal experience and just wanted an expert opinion on whether the sentence fits the crime he has described to me or if it was probably more than what he divulged.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

**A: you are welcome. By the way, when are you leaving this loser?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">