• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

financial aid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Audra

I am currently a junior in college in Kentucky and have spent the past 3 years fighting the university for financial aid. My parents were divorced after I had turned 18, so neither of them has legal gardianship over me. I have not resided with either of them in 2 1/2 years, but the university financial aid demands that I prodide them with my parental income in order to be eligible for financial aid. They have told me that I much provide documentable proof of mental and physical abuse on the part of my parents. But childrens services will not provide the info becuase it involves minors. What do I do in order to get the aid i need to continue my education?

S

shannon prendergast

Until you are 23, the federal financial aid people think your parents support you, no matter what. But, you can request forms to fill out showing you are on your own, they have a name but I have forgotten it. When I filled mine out, it showed a different address than my parents, I put down rent and utilities and anything else in my name. They approved I was not under my parents, but I was still declined for financial aid. My father died when I was a senior and even when I lived with my mom and younger sister, we weren't eligible for financial aid. You need to be filing every year, even if you get turned down. Your college should also be telling you what to do, most have a financial aid advisor. Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">