• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want to reduce support to 20%

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bniesman

I currently pay 27% of my legal net income for child support for my one child. I was originally ordered to pay 35% of my net income as child support. My salary has increased and subsequently my percentage of support has decreased. My divorce decree did not seperate the child care cost from the child support payment thus resulting in the large percentage of support. However, now my son no longer requires child care costs because he is in school and his mother stays home. I want to petition the court to lower my percentage of support to 20%. This would be a difference of about $180.00 a month. I am afraid that the judge may increase my payment because I make more money now. Since the guidelines are just that-guidelines, is their any precedent in a case like this. The case was held in DuPage County, Illinois.

N

newmom

From what I understand, child support is not based soley on the amount of money you make. The courts take into consideration costs of all things and the amount of money the other parent makes (a stay at home mom can't make much so that might be a drawback). I would imagine if the support was set when the child was in day care, then you should go back to court now that the circumstances have changed and daycare is no longer an expense for you ex. However, you are right, you may just risk the chance of paying more because of the increase in income

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">