• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

custody advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

babyblue

My boyfriend and I split up two years ago and we have a three year old boy. He has not been in his life very much for the past year and a half. Now he wants to take me to court for custody of our son. He has had im for three days and refuses to bring him back. The cops cannot help me and I feel lost. I don't have the money to go to court and I will not loose my son. If anyone can help I could really use the advise. I am a young mother trying to do my best with what little I have and I can't loose the one thing that is my reason for life. Thank you

T

Tracey

If you can't get into court, you're out of luck. You have to file a petition for custody and CS, and a petition for temporary custody and CS.

Sometimes, the court will order the other party to pay the legal fees of a poor parent. Also, check your local bar assn and see if anyone is doing pro bono work or if there's a legal aid society in town. You need to move on this quickly, before he can argue that the boy is bonded ot him now.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

A

armydad

my state (virginia) has a program for free legal care if one qualifies. we also have a program for legal care based on income. you may want to check the yellow pages or government pages of your phone book to see if your area as any of the same. i agree with the previous response...you will pobably have to go through the courts to get him back. although since neither of you have legal custody, if you see your child out some place it is within your right to have him. be careful that it's not in a situation that would scare you child. you really do need to get legal custody of your son. that way this couldn't happen again, and if it did it would be easier to get him back.. then the police could do something.
knowing men, especially those you are not around their child that much, will get tired of the "baby" thing and bring him back. i hope so.

rac

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">