• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

notadeadbeat

I live in VA and my daughter lives in TX with her mother. I pay CS monthly as ordered but my ex has not allowed me visitation in over 6 years claiming that my daughter "doesn't want to see me". I also have been unable to speak to my daughter in over 2 years for the same reasons. I would like to exercise my visitation right for the summer and fly my daughter to VA. Can my daughter (14yrs.) refuse ? Can my ex refuse to put her on a plane ? My divorce papers don't make any allowance for air travel from state to state. They just say what time I'm to pick her up and return her. I certainly cannot afford to fly to TX just to pick her up and drive her to the airport. Without hiring a lawyer do I have a leg to stand on ? I know my ex will do whatever it takes to keep this from happening. But can she ? If I'm denied visitation what's the chance that I could have my CS lowered ? I also recently learned that my ex had my daughters last name changed. Shouldn't I have been notified of this? Seems the only thing my daughter wants is my money not my name or my love.

N

newmom

I am not a lawyer but I am responding anyway. It has been my experience that both parents must sign to have a last name changed. My sister went through this with her daughter and is now going through it again now that the father wants my neices last name to be his. My sister has been served papers from a LAWYER for this to be legally done!!!!

S

Sue Giroux

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by newmom:
I am not a lawyer but I am responding anyway. It has been my experience that both parents must sign to have a last name changed. My sister went through this with her daughter and is now going through it again now that the father wants my neices last name to be his. My sister has been served papers from a LAWYER for this to be legally done!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

S

Sue Giroux

The way that avoided this conflict was by giving both last names to my son when he was born. When he reaches the age of 18 (in Canada) he will be able to drop either of those names at no charge. It will be his decision and his decision only. Their are no fees to drop a name, only to change or add a name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">