• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

stepparent adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KevJette

What is the name of your state? Illinois. I want to adopt my step daughter. There is no father listed on the birth certificate. I need to know what forms to file myself with the court in Ilinois to get this taken care. Can Anyone help?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Whether there's a father on the BC or not, she does have a bio-father and he will have to be informed.

In all honesty - adoption is SO not a do-it-yourself project. There are all sorts of things that can get messed up and make the adoption invalid. Some states require that adoptions go through an attorney - I can't find the info for IL. But I'd urge you to do it right the first time and use an attorney - the money you spend now will be well worth it. If you mess something up doing it yourself, it will cost a lot more - financially AND emotionally - to unravel the mess.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">