• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back child suppport

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chiquita

My brother(Mark)had a child with a woman long ago 1981 or 1982. He was never given a chance to be a father to this child at all. She ended the relationship with him 2 mos after she found out she was pregnant, she had the baby and left. 3 or 4 years after the baby was born. Mark received a letter asking him to relinquish his rights as the father because she was getting married and the husband wanted to adopt the kid. Mark signed and that was the end for a while. Now 15 years or so later Mark wants to find his kid. My question to you is could Mark be responsible for back child support for those 3 or 4 years before the kid was adopted. His name was put down as the father on the birth certificate.Also are adoption records sealed? if they are what is the best way to find an adoptee? Thank you

A

Attorney_Replogle

Mark is responsible (along with the girlfriend) for the child support of that infant for those first three years. That responsibility was legally ended when he gave up the child for adoption. Most states do seal the adoption records. I am not sure what the best way is to find an adoptee. You may try some web sites to began with. Sorry!

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">