• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wife won't answer to being served in another contr

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

positivepete

i sent my wife the uncontested divorce papers to korea from hawaii and she answered my lawyer by phone. she told him her terms so we answerd through registerd mail with the contested divorce papers which she hasn't signed for and won't. the courts in hawaii won't recognize anything until she is served, but until my registerd mail slip comes back i can't move on. she has told me she won't sign anything, my lawyer say's nothing can be done until she is served. Is he right? Does any one have advice!???? we can't go by default becaus she has replied by phone so we know where she is. i don't know anyone in korea to personaly serve her.
HELP!!!

[This message has been edited by positivepete (edited April 17, 2000).]

A

Attorney_Replogle

I would agree with your attorney. If she signed for the papers then that is proof of service. If she didn't sign for them, then what the attorney will have to do is to discover if he can publish an advertisement about the lawsuit in a local newspaper near where she lives. That will be valid service in place of actual service upon her. Trust your attorney on this one. Just ask about the various manners of service of process that you guys can attempt.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">