• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Foster parent being sued-needs immediate help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Marty

I'll try to make this brief, but I was a foster parent for 1 year. I was going to adopt the last child a 15 yr old girl. I had signed permanancy papers and intent to adopt paperwork. During this time, I bought a window AC unit with her funds (approved via DFACS) The unit broke and I returned it, shortly after I in central heat/AC which cost $3,750. Months later a different caseworker adopted her. I wanted to, but the girl chose the caseworker over me. I am now being sued for the AC unit. I don't feel I have to pay for it b/c I put in Central heat and air, thinking she would be with me long term. How do I respond to this. If I do have to pay for that unit, then I do I determine the depreciated cost of 1 year? Help please, I meet with their attorney today 4/17/00. Marty

A

Attorney_Replogle

Unfortunately this advice is a day late and probaby a dollar short. Sorry! I would not be surprised if the funds they gave you for the unit had strings attached to it. In short, since you didn't use the funds for the intended purpose, because the girl chose not to be adopted by you, then the government wants the money back. They are not going to be satisfied with a depreciated cost figure. They want the sum of money that they loaned you paid back. Hopefully without interest though.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">