• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal adoption advice!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JMB

Need advice on where to call or look for information on a step parent legally adopting a child. My husbands ex said she placed an ad in a newspapers legal announcements section about her current husband adopting his son. Where can I find information about this matter, whether he was legally adopted or not.

T

Tracey

Call the family court clerk in the county where the boy lives. Ask if any adoption procedings regarding him have been completed/initiated.

If they won't look up a juvenile's records, check under mom and step dad's names.

Check the service of process rules in the boy's state. You'll find them in the state's civil rules/rules of civil procedure, probably number 4. Under what circumstances is service by publication allowed? You can't do it in Washington unless you haven't been able to serve personally or by mail.

If service was improper, dad can challenge the adoption and have it rescinded.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">