• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ANY WAY OUT OF THIS?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

positivepete

HEY!

If you could please take a moment to read this and give me some advice, i will wash your car, paint your house, deflea your carpet with my teeth. You can see how desperate i am.
My wife and i have been separated for 1 and 1/2 years and have 1 child. She lives in Seoul, Korea and i live in Honolulu, Hawaii. I hired a lawyer to get a divorce, paid him and started what he felt was the necessary steps. (He was informed from the beginning that she would do anything to be as difficult and uncooperative as possible). First he sent the uncontested divorce papers unregistered. She replied months later by phone to tell him her terms she would sign on.
The lawyer sent the contested papers to her registered over a month ago and she hasn't signed for them and i assume will never sign for anything.
The fact that she originally replied by phone means i can't get the divorce by default and as i believe doesn't allow us to publish anything here or in korea because the "good faith" clause isn't valid if we know where she is and she is communicating in some archaic way. My lawyer has told me nothing can be done until she is "served". What do you think?
Hawaii law say's i can get a divorce after two years of separation but do i still have to "serve" her if i try that method? What if she doesn't sign then? Should i dump my lawyer?
thanks, peter

T

Tracey

OK Pete, here you go! I'm afraid my car is beyond washing, my house is sided, and my cat is on Advantage. However, I'm rather fond of caramels.... :D

Here are the Hawaii court rule on service of process:
Rule 4. PROCESS.

(a) Summons:
(b) Same: Form.
When, under Rule 4(e), service is made pursuant to a statute or rule of court, the summons or notice, or order in lieu of summons, shall correspond as nearly as may be to that required by the statute or rule.

(c) Same: By Whom Served. Service of all process shall be made: (1) anywhere in the State by the sheriff or the sheriff's deputy, by some other person specially appointed by the court for that purpose, or by any person who is not a party and is not less than 18 years of age; or (2) in any county by the chief of police or the chief's duly authorized subordinate. A subpoena, however, may be served as provided in Rule 45.

(d) Same: Personal Service. The summons and complaint shall be served together. The plaintiff shall furnish the person making service with such copies as are necessary. Service shall be made as follows:

(1) Upon an individual other than an infant or an incompetent person, (A) by delivering a copy of the summons and of the complaint to the individual personally or in case the individual cannot be found by leaving copies thereof at the individual's dwelling house or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then residing therein or (B) by delivering a copy of the summons and of the complaint to an agent authorized by appointment or by law to receive service of process.
(e) Same: Other Service. Whenever a statute or an order of court provides for service upon a party not an inhabitant of or found within the State, of a summons, or of a notice, or of an order in lieu of summons, service shall be made under the circumstances and in the manner prescribed by the statute or order. Whenever a statute or an order of court requires or permits service by publication of a summons, or of a notice, or of an order in lieu of summons, any publication pursuant thereto shall be made under the circumstances and in the manner prescribed by the statute or order.

(f) Territorial Limits of Effective Service. ***.
(g) Return. The person serving the process shall make proof of service thereof to the court promptly and in any event within the time during which the person served must respond to process. When service is made by any person specially appointed by the court, that person shall make affidavit of such service.

(h) Amendment.

---------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------

Now, here's the service of process statute for divorces:

§580-3 Service.
(a) The complaint for annulment, divorce, or separation, and the summons shall be served by an authorized process server on the defendant personally if the defendant is within the State, ***.

(b) If service by an authorized process server is not feasible or is inconvenient or if the defendant is without the State, the court may authorize the service to be made by any other responsible person, or the court may authorize notice of the pendency of the action and of a time and place of hearing, which shall be not less than twenty days after the giving of personal notice, to be given to the defendant personally by such person and in such manner as the court shall designate and the case may be heard and determined at or after the time specified in the notice.

(c) If the defendant is without the circuit, the court may authorize service by registered or certified mail, with request for a return receipt and direction to deliver to addressee only. The return receipt signed by the defendant shall be prima facie evidence that the defendant accepted delivery of the complaint and summons on the date set forth on the receipt. Actual receipt by the defendant of the complaint and summons sent by registered or certified mail shall be equivalent to personal service on the defendant by an authorized process server as of the date of the receipt.

(d) If it appears that the defendant has refused to accept service by mail, or is concealing oneself, or evading service, or that plaintiff does not know the address or residence of the defendant and has not been able to ascertain the same after reasonable and due inquiry and search for at least fifteen days either before or after the filing of the complaint, the court may authorize notice of the pendency of the action and of a time and place of hearing, which shall not be less than twenty days after the last publication of the published notice, to be given to the defendant by publication thereof at least once in each of three successive weeks in a newspaper suitable for the advertisement of notices of judicial proceedings, published in the State, and the case may be heard and determined at or after the time specified in the notice.

SO, given that your wife is out of Hawaii AND is ducking service AND is refusing certified mail, under 580-3(d) and civil rule 4(e), the court has the power to order service by publication or any other type of service it likes.

Tell your lawyer to file an ex parte motion to allow service by publication in Korea or to allow service by publication in Hawaii if there is no English-speaking paper in Korea. The court will order service, you guys comply, the court sets a hearing date which she misses, and you get your default order (whatever you asked for in your petition - ask for everything you want, not just what you and she discussed :D ).

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

[This message has been edited by Tracey (edited April 18, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">