• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NJ adoption laws for adoptee searching

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Baby Kelly

I am 35 years old, born in NY 1964 and adopted in NJ - Morris County - finalized 1966. I only have non-identifying info from agency, Spence Chapin, in NY. What documents relating to my adoption am I entitled to? Let me rephrase that, I am entitled to everything pertaining to my birth and adoption. What documents can I get copies of and where and how do I get them? I contacted the surrogates office today and the woman answering the phone was a complete idiot. Referred to my adoptive parents as my "step parents" and told me to ask them for a copy of my final adoption decree. If I could do that, I wouldn't have been talking to her! Isn't there something besides the complete adoption records that are sealed that is public record - bits and pieces that I can piece together? I need help in my search and would really appreciate any and all direction. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">