• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying a single parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

omegami

I'm marrying a guy who pays child support. How can I make sure that our marital status will not, and never affect his child support rate since I am working and making as much money as he is? Does a pre-marital agreement work in this case?

T

tgabriel

This is from experience: Keep financial accounts and records seperate. In other words, EVERYTHING that is yours, put ONLY in your name...checking & savings accounts, assets like cars or other property of value. First, your income is not suppose to be considered when determining child support payments. However, your added income to the household does create a "substantial change in circumstances", giving the ex basis to file for an increase. If you keep records seperate, you will have an easier time proving any improvements in lifestyle are due to your income. The reason to keep assets in your name is if there is ever a question of arrears, whether valid or not, it protects you. Anything with the non-custodial parent's name on it is fair game.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">