• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

army regulations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

armydad

my son's dad has been M.I.A. from his life for nine years. (he is nine years old) the father is an army ranger and is now married with two children and one on the way. i cannot find anything on army policies regarding this matter. i want to know what the army would do if they knew he had a child that he had never supported or seen. not jesture has ever been made. i was 19 when i had my son and was going to place him for adoption, but the father would not sign the papers, but now he says he wants to terminate his parental rights. my husband would adopt my son but it just does not seem fair (although probably in my son's best interest)that the biological father could have place all the responsibilities on me because he didn't want to sign then, but now he will and will no longer be able to be held responsible for a life he helped bring into this world. also, no one has legal custody of my son. i cannot get back child support because the father was never court ordered to give it yet if he would decide he wanted our son all he would have to do is take him. i would have to go to court to get him back. he has the same rights as i do to our son, yet he is not held responsible for his financial well being. (i live in virginia which is the laws i need along with the military side of it) if i could get any advice i would be thankful.

C

cjskids

I do know that the military definately frowns upon fathers that do not pay child support. They have been known to throw them in jail for being in arrears. They will also take it directly out of his check before he even sees it. What you need to do is file a child support order. You can do this with DES or Child Support enforcement at no cost to you. They will ask you for information about the father. What you need to do is tell them everything you know and they will do all the paperwork for you. If he denies being the father when is confronted with a child support order then the burden of proof becomes his. He will be responsible to pay for a paternity test to prove otherwise. As far as him taking your child, if he is wanting to terminate parental rights it doesn't sound like he has much interest to begin with. What would he do with a child that he doesn't know and apparently doesnt want to know? Good Luck !!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">