• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

drug use and gang member living in very bad neighborhood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

scared_mommy

My ex boyfreind has been able to visit our son whenever he wants. he has taken him to mcdonalds and played with him at the park. we have been apart for 4 years, our son is 5. he comes around on and off and he doesn't hold down a job for too long. he has been in and out of jail and the neighborhood he lives in is very bad. he had even got shot in the back while he was driving around in the neighborhood where he lives. now seeing him whenever he wants, while he is supervised is not good enough. he wants to take him to his house. my son doesn't know him very well and i believe it is dangerous and his father is a very bad influence. i don't know where to begin to take care of this. would i get awarded sole legal and physical custody while giving him supervised visitation?

thank you for your time
scared_mommy

J

jlm

Although you cannot legally refuse your ex the right to see your son, I would strongly suggest that you seek the court's help. Any child is at risk around someone who uses drugs or is around others that do. Most judges are understanding in situations like these, becouse they want what is in the best interests of the child. As long as you are willing to be a little flexible about visitation, I'm sure that your pleas will be heard. It sounds like you have done your part in being fair with a man who is rarely around and whom your son is not very familiar with. Before you go to the courts, make sure you communicate with the boy to get his opinion on things. Depending on his age and maturity, the court will let him have some(although limited) say in what type of arrangement is agreed upon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">