• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DNA Testing w/out fathers knowledge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hopeful

Is is possible to have DNA testing done without the fathers knowledge? I know this sounds awful, but I have been married for 11 years and have 3 kids, there is a chance that the 1st child, now almost 11 yrs old, may not be my husbands. I would like to find out without havng to put him through a big emotional ordeal of thinking that his little girl may not be his. Once determined, I would cross that road when I came to it. Please do not judge me, I know how terrible this sounds, if you don't know the answer just don't respond.

T

Tracey

Two possibilities:
1) You could pay a private lab to test all 3 kids and determine whether A has the same father as B&C.

2) If you still have contact with the other prospective father, you could ask him to participate in a DNA test. If he's excluded as the father, you'll know A is hubby's.

How will you keep the kids from mentioning either a blood sample or a buccal swab, though? If the results of the test become part of A's medical records, hubby will have access to them. He's also going to see the bill on the credit card invoice.

Why do you want to know? Your husband is her father, regardless of DNA. Is knowing the answer worth the hurt that will result from asking the question?

Good luck; you have some difficult decisions ahead of you,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

J

jlm

My little girl's father has not participated in her life at all. She does have a daddy, however. The man we live with was there with me holding my hand when she was born, and has been there in her life every day since. They have a special bond that nothing can ever change. Although in my case, both men know the facts, the relationship question is the same. Is it really that important after 11 years? Unless the other man is pressing you to act on this, I would take every consideration before going any further. The information you receive could possibly upset your entire family and create problems that would last a lifetime. Is it really worth the risk? I'm glad that the decision is not mine, and I wish you luck with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">