• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

social security crisis - need proof of birth name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

catarina

What is the name of your state? california

in the state of georgia, at the age of 2, i was adopted and given a birth certificate with my new name. all information regarding the birth parents was sealed appropriately. to this day, my original birth name is on file with the social security administration. my adopted parents never got around to contacting the ss administration to have a new card issued to me with my new adopted name. my adopted parents have since lost the adoption paperwork and now i have no legal paperwork to prove my birth name. unsealing adoption records has proven virtually impossible. i have no desire to speak to or have contact with my birth parents - i just need some legal proof of my original birth name. currently, i unable to obtain a valid driver's licence, state id card, etc.. because of this social security crisis.

JETX

Clearly, something is not right in your post.

"in the state of georgia, at the age of 2, i was adopted and given a birth certificate with my new name."
*** And that is what you will need to get your license, etc. You can get a copy of your adopted birth certificate from the county clerk or registrar where the adoption was filed.

"all information regarding the birth parents was sealed appropriately. to this day, my original birth name is on file with the social security administration."
*** And that 'original' birth certificate in your birth name is no longer valid.... nor relevant.

"my adopted parents never got around to contacting the ss administration to have a new card issued to me with my new adopted name."
*** So, get your adoption certificate and apply for a Social Security number. Done all the time.

"my adopted parents have since lost the adoption paperwork and now i have no legal paperwork to prove my birth name."
*** Again, you don't need your birthname..... only your adoption certificate (see above).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">