• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal representation for CS modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brokeinPenna

Where can a father turn if he needs to try and modify his CS, but now lives in a different state ? I was divorced in Tex. but now live in Penna. I've talked to 3 local attorneys and none of them will take the case (because it's out of state). I've contacted 2 attorneys in Tex. but they want HUGE retainer fees to begin the proccess. If I could afford that I wouldn't need to modify my CS. Also, I was divorced 10 years ago and my CS was based on my salary. I now only earn about 2/3 of what I used to. But when I use the state of Tex. CS calculation table, it says I should be paying MORE. I don't understand how that could be. $400 a month for one child that my ex refuses to allow me contact with, seems a little extreme. What about my family now, I need to support them too. My current wife & I struggle to make ends meet while my ex is remarried and doing MUCH better financially. Any advice would be appreciated.

J

jlm

I would like to know how your ex can refuse you contact with your child unless she has sole legal custody and no visitaion established. Sounds like frustration of visitation to me, and is definitely grounds for modification of custody and/or child support. Unfortunately, custody determined in one state must be redetermined in the same state, the same going for child support. Most of us can't afford the lawyer fees, and I suggest you look for help in or around the community in which your ex lives. Locals are always more familiar with applicable laws in the area. Apprentices to law firms can be of help to you while costing little, simply because they need the experience. Most are very knowledgeable and no less professional than lawyers who have passed the BAR.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">