• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rights of minor to choose legal guardian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anon_tx

I have a question regarding the laws in the state of Texas regarding when a minor is old enough to choose who they wish to live with.

I am 15 years old and no longer wish to live with my biological father and step mother. I would like to live with my step Uncle. My question is, am I old enough to choose where I wish to live? Would my Uncle have to become a legal guardian and what is involved with this?

I apprecieate any advice you can provide me with.

S

Schuller

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by anon_tx:
I have a question regarding the laws in the state of Texas regarding when a minor is old enough to choose who they wish to live with.

I am 15 years old and no longer wish to live with my biological father and step mother. I would like to live with my step Uncle. My question is, am I old enough to choose where I wish to live? Would my Uncle have to become a legal guardian and what is involved with this?

I apprecieate any advice you can provide me with.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello,I do believe you are old enough to decide where you want to live, but you need to call the family courts, or superior court near where you live and ask them how old does a child need to be before the child can decide where he wants to live. I know in the state of Connecticut a 15 year old can get emancipated from their parents .you may also
want to contact a legal service to see if you can get an attorney to represent you.
Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">