• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-daughter deserting her FATHER?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ronne

My husbad has a 14 yr. old daughter from his prev. marriage. He has not been permitted visitation is 2 1/2 yrs. The other night, hubby gets a phone call from his daughter telling him she wants nothing to do with him or his family, and that her school and medical records are none of her business. Her grades are barely passing and her attendance is terrible. She seems to be a very angry child with some emotional problems. My husband pays CS directly from his paycheck and provides her with med. ins.
When hubby's ex took him back to court last winter for more support (and won!) our lawyer told us that it wasn't worth fighting for visitation- that we should wait until SHE came to hubby because hubby would only get SUPERVISED visitation since it's been so long. If she won't have any contact with hubby at all, does this mean he has to continue to pay CS until she's emancipated? Can her and her mother really get away with that? This has been emtionally damaging for the child, I'm sure. But, my husbad has also suffered a great deal. Does he have any options at this time, or just pay up?

O

Observer

I feel your pain. We are in almost the exact same situation. In our case, not only is the father alienated, but half brothers and sister, too. My husband has NO relationship with his daughter, except financial. No contact, no pictures, no visits--but one thing I know--If for some reason the child support didn't arrive, we'd hear from mom or attorney. Most people don't understand how the relationship can dissolve, but over time, with so many nasty things said, and daughter not wanting to visit (thanks to mom)--it happened. My husband won't "force" her to visit (although I feel the mom could be held in contempt for parental alienation) so, he just keeps on paying (which mom and daughter deny to friends and relatives...). It's all very sad for all involved, but most of all daughter. The last contact was asking for more insurance cards (like you, we provide excellent benefits), but I betcha if someone asked mom, she would say that she takes care of everything for daughter... This sounds like an uncaring way of looking at it, but at least there's only four years left to "pay". Please understand, this attitude comes from years of useless trying, rejected efforts and misconstrued intentions. Let's just pray about it...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">