• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Girlfriend gone, what about the house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jazz67

Ok here is the deal...me and former girlfriend bought a house together. Now 5 years later and she wants out. She is leaving and is willing to walk away and leave me the house. (It's in both of our names.) She will sign anything to be done with it. Short of re-financing.(I don't want to do,due to higher rates.)Is there anything we can do.? I don't want coming back in a year demanding anything and she doesn't want me to hurt her credit etc. if I have problems later.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

1. Well, you could have her "assign" all right, title and interest to her portion of the property to you without any problems. You can get this done through quit claim deeds or other assignment papers at paralegal offices. also, your city hall may have information about possible organizations that offer housing help.

2. If you get the assignment, or something similar, keep a copy for yourself, forward one to your mortgage company asking them to resend a new revised paperwork with your name alone.

3. You give a copy to your girlfriend (ex) and have her send it to her creditors and the mortgage company as well.

Hope this helps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">