• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

when child support stops

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Impeanutsmom

My husband has child support ( current and back pay) taken out of his check every week. His Daughter is soon to be 21,has been out of school since she was 18 and Married the day after graduation. But the state of Mississippi insists that he pay intil she is emancipated, Doesn't Marriage automaticaly emancipate a person. Is there anything we can do to stop the current child support without having to hire a lawyer since we cannot afford to do so.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

Well, i am not sure what mississippi means. I thought child support ended when the child became of adult age (18). however, mississippi may have the age be 21? Emancipation usually occurs either when a minor legally emancipates or "divorces" his/her parents OR when the child is an adult OR is married.

If you cannot afford an attorney, your best bet is to contact your local legal aid foundation and ask for the family law section. Since they deal with issues of present and back child support all the time, they would probably be able to tell when the legal time for stopping payment is.

However, I should say one thing: your husband may not have a legal obligation to support or help his children in a monetary capacity, but perhaps he should feel like he wants to help his children.

Lots of luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">