• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I protect myself from a woman who claims she wants no support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Skeptical

After numerous attempts to work out our differences, my pregnant ex-girlfriend does not want me involved in the babys life including child support. Is there some sort of "wave all parental responsibilities" form we can sign that protects me years from now in case she changes her mind? Thanks

J

jlm

Yes, there are certain forms you can sign that would waive all of your parental rights. I believe both parties must sign in the presence of an authorized official of the court. Keep in mind that once you sign you have absolutely NO RIGHTS concerning the child. You can never see the child or be a part of its life from that moment on. Also the child would officially be a ******* with no known father. Think about the consequences of that action before you take any further steps.

T

Tracey

Better consult a family law attorney in your state. Some states hold that "contracts" to wiave CS are void as against public policy. (The right to support is the child's and neither parent can wiave it.)

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">