• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Disputed

What is the name of your state? Colorado

About three months ago an altercation ocurred between my sister and I. There was an argument that ocurred and eventually turned into her shoving me. We pushed, pulled and punched (my daughters were present and the altercation didn't last long). An officer was called to our residence and they filed assault (3) charges against me. I, in turn filed assault charges against her. During the process, my mother was only involved in a verbal altercation. However, once the officer arrived, she told him that I shoved, harrassed and intimidated her. For this, I received an assault (1) charge. When I went to court, the DA immediately wanted me to plead guilty and take anger management courses - I explained that I didn't feel I was wrong since she started it (I know it will be her word (and my mother will side with her) against mine and my children).

I am hoping to convince the DA to dismiss charges against my sister and I if we both agree to drop them against one another.

However, I am wondering HOW the charges can be proven in regards to my mother. I have never nor would I ever lay a hand on her, but to date she hasn't dropped the charges. If this was a tactic to get us to move out - she succeeded! What are my options to ensure that I am not found guilty for something I didn't do anyway?

Thank you!

B

Boxcarbill

There are no guarantees in law or medicine. And there isn't even a predictable outcome with a jury trial. It is quite literally anyone's guess as to what a jury will do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">