• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Child Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

divorcing the nut

I would like to find out some info on child custody when there is mental instablilty. I am divorcing my husband of 4 years and we have a 17 month old. He tried to commit suicide in Febraury and is an alcoholic... what do I do about getting sole legal & physical custody?...without the money for a lawyer!!

H

HAPPY AT LAST

I would call The Legal Aid Department. They should have an office some-where in your court building depending on where you live. They also could be called Pro-bono Lawyers. These lawyers are for people who cant afford to hire a paid attorney. If you make under a certain amount of money, It's free. I know because I had one for three years.Start making some phone calls to family court. They should be able to put you in the right direction. As far as winning, don't worry about that. You are the mother and they wouldn't take the child away from you unless you are unfit. Plus,Do you have proof of his attemp of suiside? Hospital bill? Police report? Save everything. Don't waist any time in doing this. Good Luck.

D

divorcing the nut

Thanks, Happy.
I tried all of that too... in Mass (don't know if that's where you were), all of the 'free' lawyers only work with battered women.. I've called all of them. I could do the 'reduced fee' - but I can't even manage that. I have seen the "Lawyer of the Day" at the court house who has helped me with the paperwork, but they keep telling me if it gets ugly, hire a lawyer...so that's no help! I don't have copies to the records, because we were already apart... I would have to request the hospital records through the court... but I may be able to get the police report, I guess. Thanks again!! If you think of anything else...let me know! Oh! Also - I'm not worried about them taking my son from me - I just don't want him to even have JOINT custody at this point. He's refusing therapy, and don't even want him to have visitation unless it's supervised.
Anyway - thanks!

H

Happy at last

About the hospital bill. I don't think you would have a problem obtaining the bill yourself. You are married to the guy. Same last name. I would just go there and tell them that you never got a bill for your records. Or if you guys have insurance. Contact the ins.co.Tell them you would like a copy for your records.I live in NY. But keep trying with a free lawyer. Your bound to find something. In the meen time, I will ask my legal aid lawyer If she can give me a list of legal aid attorneys in Mass. Thats where you live???? She once gave me a list of them for Nevada.Let me know where you live so I can ask her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">