• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

the CAR and the DIVORCE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tooneatlaw

I bought a car about 8 months ago from a friend who now is going though a divorce. when i bought the car i paid $ 2000.00 in cash for it. since he was a friend i never bothered for a receipt. Also to save on insurance premiums we agreed to retain his name on the insurance and the car. i have never held the pink slip in my hands since i simply trusted my freind that everything was going to be fine.

Recently his divorce is gettig uglier and uglier and i am affraid that the wife may take the which i paid for already, what can i do to protect my car?

T

Tracey

Have your friend give you a bill of sale now stating that the sale and delivery of the car took place 8 months ago. Also, have him give you a receipt. Staple a copy of your withdrawal statement/bank statement showing that you took out $2000 cash at the time of the sale. Both of you should make out affidavits setting forth the terms of the sale and why he didn't give you the title. Get them notarized.

He probably can't give you the title now without court permission. If you're really worried, have his attorney file a quick motion in court asking for permission to transfer the title to you, since the car is yours. Make sure he and his attorney check the wife's list of marital property and challenge her if she claims the car is marital property. I don't know if you can intervene...

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">