• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is a settlement from a lawsuit (auto accident) community property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cindy123

My husband was in an accident almost a year ago, it was the other person's fault. The accident caused him to have a grand mal siezure and he hasn't been the same person since. He has missed a lot of work and i have had to support him a lot since then. We are getting a divorce, he moved out yesterday. Am I entitled to any of his settlement, is it community property?

C

ckbaby26

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cindy123:

My husband was in an accident almost a year ago, it was the other person's fault. The accident caused him to have a grand mal siezure and he hasn't been the same person since. He has missed a lot of work and i have had to support him a lot since then. We are getting a divorce, he moved out yesterday. Am I entitled to any of his settlement, is it community property?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Cindy123. It'll probably depend on which state you are in. I'm in Washington and my husband was also in an accident in 1992 but he was married to his first wife at the time then they divorced in April of 1994 and the case was settled in Feb. of 1995 and she got half of it because they had a uncontested divorce and she had the paper work done by a paralegal with a quote in there that stated they she was entitled to half of the proceeds from her husband accident that accured in 1992. So, my suggestion to you is see if you can have some kind of clause in there that states something similar to that and you will probably be entitled to half. Good Luck and enjoy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">