• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking at Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Disenchanted

I have lived in a volitale marraige for the last 8yrs. We have 2 sons It has run the gamit of abuse and problems. I have suffered emotional abuse and battering emotionaly as well, my Husband is controlling and manipulative he is not above the worst behavior (including using the children as wepons). I have no savings and he owns the control of my car (the loan is in his name). I work but all my money goes into mataining the household expenses that he won't contribute to. He feels the house is his because he owned it prior to marriage and will not consider leaving. I am exhausted and my emotional good health is suffering from this marriage . I am considering getting out, but I don't know how I can with no money and possibly no car or home. I dont't know where to start. I feel like my husband has all the power.

R

rookie

Contact the local women's shelter. It is usually listed in the front section of the phonebook under community resources.

If not, contact the police dept., they will be able to give you some number and people who can help. You are working, so your money will be yours. If you live in a community property state the car and house could quite possibly be joint assets.

If you file a restraining order and the judge approves it, you can live in your house until the court orders otherwise.

Good Luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">